On the right is the rough sketch of the final layout. I did end up going with the vertical idea so it would match my sister's posters (they're for the same client). The only major change I made from the thumbnail was to eliminate the entire city scape in flames. Focusing on one building with fire instead has made the process much easier (plus is looks more dramatic).
Since the image size is so large, I haven't been working on one Photoshop file. Each character and the back buildings have their own file, and I'm placing everything together once I'm done each element. To date I've got Batman and the background all finished up; Bane will be finished by tomorrow (preview to the left), then all that's left is Catwoman and final touch ups. Now the Batman preview above was taken a while ago, when I didn't realize the new cape had scallops. No worries to the fanatics out there, I fixed that up recently!
With luck (and a few all nighters) this poster will be done late next week. It's taken more time because I'm also working on my very first movie concept job! But more on that once this poster is done (like dinner).
Until next time interwebs, stay classy. Feel free to come back Sunday for another anatomy post!